If you are working now, this article is written for you.
Let me just ask you this question;
Why are you working now?
Surely, you have a lot of reasons to share. Below might include some of them;
- Because you need to provide for your family
- Because you need to support your siblings in their studies
- Because you want to have enough money for retirement
- Because you want to have money for travel with your loved ones
- Because you have to support someone for his or her medical needs
- Because you have to invest in the stock market
- Because you have to build and start your own business
- Because you want to help the poor
- Because you want to give more to the church and other ministries
- Because you want to have a better life in the future
- Because you want to buy your favourite things
- Because you want to practice your profession and expertise
- Because you want to build your connection and gain new friends
- Because you want to know yourself more and build self-confidence
- Because you need to escape boredom at home
These are only some of the reasons I have in mind but it doesn’t end here. I believe all of them are valid reasons why you and I are working and why most of us are employed. Bottom line is we want to feel secure and prepare for the future. We want to make sure that we are an asset and not a liability. We are working because we have dreams and we want to achieve them as much as we can.
On top of these, let us remind ourselves that there should be a bigger reason why we are working. We are working not just for us and our immediate family and of course helping others. The most important is that we are working for the kingdom of the Lord, to please Him and fulfill our mission.
Our work shouldn’t be a justification that we are already good citizens though. We need to take care of our integrity and reputation especially when dealing with others.
Our work should have no conflict with the way we treat our God. It should rather make us closer to Him. Our respective job is an opportunity to share more about our Lord and how he has been so gracious to us.
Most of the times, the Lord has put us in a certain position in a certain period of time for a specific purpose. There are times that we don’t know what’s happening but just keep the faith that one day the Lord will reveal His reasons why we are here or there in the first place.
Again, let us always remind ourselves that we are not working just for us. We are working under the pleasure of our Lord. Whatever is your work now, be grateful for it even though it’s stressful sometimes. Believe that your past and current experiences are all preparations for the great plan of the Lord ahead of you. Be excited and have faith.
God bless you, my friend!